Tuesday, June 29, 2010

savoring 'til the last bite...

Miriam loves fruit. Any kind of fruit. Often times I need to persuade her to eat whatever else is on her plate before she can have more fruit. There have been many times that something like this comes out of my mouth:

"No, Miriam, you have already had a huge handful of blueberries. Please take two more bites of your pizza before I give you more."

So, because of her love of fruit... she often will savor the last piece of whatever she's eating until it's completely gone. For example, she'll keep a grape in her mouth for 10-15 minutes just because she knows it's the last one she'll have for awhile. I often forget that she even had anything to eat until I notice she's still chewing on something for quite some time after.

As Miriam was savoring a fruit snack today (another one of her delectable delights), I thought to myself, "how often do I savor the Word of God? Do I read it and quickly get back to what I am doing, or do I hold onto it for a long time?" Perhaps that is quite the stretch in relating fruit to Scripture... but it did cross my mind. Many days I find it challenging to take more than five minutes to sit and spend time with the Lord. But I do know that He delights in even those five minutes -and especially if I savor His Words. A challenge for myself now is to make sure that my time with Him is not just another thing on my "to-do" list; rather, I want it to be a sweet time of solace in my often-times busy day that I can carry with me through the rest of my day. I want to savor my relationship with Him.

2 comments:

kachelly said...

What a wonderful reminder, and story of Miriam... thank you!

Jamie said...

Oh my goodness, what a funny girl! And such a good reminder to savor His Word!