Just after 10:00 last night, I was lying in bed and listening to the election results on the radio. When the news broke that our President Elect was named, I felt like my heart stopped for a minute. I sat silently and a wave of fear swept over me. I had been preparing for that moment for a long time, but part of me still hoped and prayed it wouldn’t happen. But, come January 20th, our country will have a new president… and it wasn’t the one I voted for. I didn’t vote for him for many reasons, especially because I feel like the right to life will be compromised. I spent many months fearing what direction America would go if our current President Elect was elected, and praying that God would have mercy on us.
However, this morning, I woke up with a sense of peace that I hadn’t felt before. It’s not a peace because I support what our new president stands for, but because our God is completely sovereign. He knew long before 10:00 last night who would govern our country pending the results of this long election. I cannot live in fear of our president and what could happen, but I need to live in fear of our God. Proverbs 2:1-5 says:
“My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding, and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God.”
Even though circumstances may change in our country, I still need to fear the Lord and Him only. I can rest that He is in control and pray that God will give our new president wisdom and direction as he leads America. As believers, we cannot stop praying. I pray that through this, God will bring revival to our nation. Let us continue to rest in His sovereignty.
An old hymn kept playing through my head this morning as I thought of our country and what we may face. It reminded me that our hope is in Christ alone, not in any person…
The Solid Rock
My hope is built on nothing less, than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly lean on Jesus’ name.
When darkness veils His lovely face, I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale, my anchor holds within the veil.
His oath, His covenant, his blood, support me in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul gives way, He then is all my hope and stay.
When He shall come with trumpet sound, O may I then in Him be found,
Dressed in His righteousness alone, faultless to stand before His throne.
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand –all other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.
2 comments:
Becca,
Your mom and dad are so encouraged by your faith that we know gives you the peace and the words that you spoke here. So well said. You have a way with words and wisdom beyond your years and we know who gives it to you. I am thankful that you can rest in Him who is in control of all. We love you.
Mom and Dad
I wholly agree with your Dad! I shared your post with 'the fam' as I thought you said what we were all feeling that night, and that our hope is in GOD ALONE! Our 'Anchor holds', He is our Rock and Fortress.
May God have mercy on the unborn, and change Obama's heart for the babies.
Love, Monica and family
Post a Comment