Okay, so I know I mentioned in my last post that I wasn't really into the "goal-setting" part of the new year. However, one thing I would like to do more of this year is meal-planning. I used to be really good at this: when I had just one child and a little more time on my hands. Now with both kiddos and the lack of desire to go anywhere in frigid weather with both of those kiddos, my grocery shopping trips are extremely limited or consist of sending Matt to the store for one quick thing so I can attempt to throw a meal together. Hamburger helper, spaghetti, lasagna and chili have been used all too much this winter. Now I know there are a billion recipes at my fingertips online, but I just don't really have the time to sit around searching for a recipe that is relatively easy, healthy and includes ingredients that I actually have. So, help? Please? Anyone have any good and easy (maybe crock pot or quick meals to put together) recipes that use mainly "staple" ingredients? I guess that's my other main problem...my lack of staples. I do have a ton of canned tomatoes, cream of chicken soups, pasta, chicken broth and a spice cabinet that's exploding at the seams. I also have ground turkey and chicken on hand. Other than that, I'm pretty limited. Anyone with recipes that include those items or maybe just one or two more things would be great! Or, if you have a fantastic recipe that you often use with your family that you think would help me out, please share! Do help this busy mom who doesn't want to venture out too often. Then maybe if I get motivated, I can put together a post with all the recipes I got so that you can use them, too!
4 comments:
Have you ever tried Baked Mac N Cheese? I have a recipe, but I usually just eye ball it...its a go to recipe when I can't think of anything else. Take a 9x13 glass pan, put the noodles in (I like the spiral noodles the best, but you can use any kind) drizzle with olive oil (or melted butter/margarine, we prefer olive oil) mix it a little to coat the pasta. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add shredded cheddar cheese, about a cup? more if you like it cheesier. Pour milk in to cover the pasta. Bake uncovered at 325 for 45 minutes. SOOO easy to put together, and not a lot of mess to clean up. Naomi likes to help when I make it. The key is to use enough milk so the noodles don't get dried out.
I have a few quick go-to recipes that I always can throw together with items I keep on hand--which seem very similar to items you may have on hand too!
#1 California Beef Rice Skillet Dinner
Brown 1 lb ground beef with one chopped onion. Drain. Stir in 2.5 cups water, 1 cup rice, 3 beef bouillon cubes, pepper to taste, and half tsp. dry mustard. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until liquid is absorbed. Add 1 can diced tomatoes (or fresh if you have on hand) and top with cheese (we like the mexican blend or jack best). My kids are picky so I don't add much else, but you can also add green pepper with the tomatoes or even Rotel or salsa instead of the tomatoes.
Recipe #2-Stpvetop Beef and Pasta
Cook 4-6 ounces of pasta (we use elbows or rotini). In another pan, brown 1 lb. ground beef, 1 chopped onion, and one clove garlic minced (or sub. garlic powder); drain. Stir in 1 can crushed or diced tomatoes, 1-8 oz can tomato sauce, 1 tsp. sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper (although not in the original recipe, I also add 1 tsp Italian seasoning...or you could add basil/oregano/thyme). Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes. Drain pasta and add to beef mixture before serving. Top with parmesan cheese.
Ok...so sorry for 3 comments, but I guess it is better than one long one. If you need more ideas...feel free to ask!
I know EXACTLY what you mean about not having time for meal planning :) I have one of the same resolutions for the New Year as well!
Post a Comment