Thursday, September 16, 2010

reflections from a cubbie

Last night I took Miriam to her first night as a Cubbie at a church in her grandpa and grandma's town. For those unfamiliar with Cubbies, it is the 3-5-year-old AWANA class where kids hear Bible stories, practice memorizing Scripture and learn about Jesus. It's hard for me to believe that Miriam is even old enough to be in a class like that. I wasn't really sure how she would do since she hasn't ever been a part of a structured group setting before. Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised. This typically spunky, talkative, inquisitive, and social little girl did a very good job listening to her teacher, following directions and learning what it meant to stand and walk in a line (however, she did somehow manage to be near the end of the line when she started and be second in line at the destination. We'll need to work on that one). I even snuck out for a bit just to see how she would do without me there. Then I snuck back in without her seeing me and was able to watch without her knowing. Again, I was so proud of how she did. I'm also just excited for this opportunity for her to have another place to hear of God's Word. She already has started memorizing Scripture at home and I love that Cubbies gives us another chance to work on it regularly.

So, on the way home last night, I asked Miriam a few questions about her night.

"Miriam, what was your favorite part about Cubbies tonight?"

"Holding the Cubbie bear."

"Yeah, I saw you got to do that. And you get to meet Cubbie next week! Did you get to have a treat at Cubbies?"

"Yes. I had a cookie and juice. But I didn't get a chance to have any coffee."

And there you have it. She's grown up even faster than I thought.

1 comment:

kachelly said...

This sounds just WONDER-FUL....