Friday, October 8, 2010

wilbur

Because of this extremely unseasonably warm weather, I decided I must take the girls out for a walk after lunch. After we were walking along for awhile, we noticed a lady mowing her lawn. As we walked closer to her, Miriam said, "Mom, I think her name is Wilbur."

"I don't think it's Wilbur, honey, but I suppose you can call her that."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We continued to walk and a few minutes later, Miriam heard a dog barking. "Mom, I'd like to have a dog someday."

"Really? Me too. What do you think you'd name it?"

"Wilbur."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After our walk, we played outside in the backyard for awhile. Abbie sat on a blanket while Miriam "planted a garden" in her sandbox and I raked up some leaves. When I stopped for a minute to go sit next to Abbie, I noticed some sort of little bug crawling on the blanket. I told Miriam to come over and look at it. She ran over and managed to pick it up and it started crawling up her arm. Guess what she named it? Yes, that was her new pet Wilbur. I decided to go continue raking when I heard Miriam start calling out, "Wilbur! Wilbur! Where are you?" I guess Wilbur had had enough and decided to find another place to crawl around.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As it was getting closer to nap time, we packed up everything from outside and came and played in the girls' room for a few minutes. Miriam found a book and started paging through it while Abbie played with her toys on the floor. In the book, she stopped at a page of a little girl playing with blocks. "Her name is Wilbur," Miriam told me.

Well, okay. Whatever you say. I love that girl.

3 comments:

kachelly said...

This is a great story!
And for the record, I too, like Wilbur...

jackie lea said...

has she seen Charlotte's Web? Is that what is inspiring this? Either way, I love it!

becky.h said...

Yes, she's seen Charlotte's Web, although not all that recently. That's definitely where she got "Wilbur" from, but I'm not sure why she suddenly decided to remember it on that particular day!